Hey, I'm Steven vanZyl. in case you hadn't already guessed, this is my website, the nth incarnation of it actually.
I'm a student at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Hopefully I'm in my last year of my degree, but we'll see how it goes...
I'm also heavily involved in the Rensselaer Center for Open Source which is a student-run organization promoting the use and development of free and open source software.
I'm a fan of...
- Free Software. This site is MIT licensed for the code, and CC BY-NC-SA for the content
- Programming languages, mostly non-pure functional ones like Rust, Clojure, and Elixir
- Systems programming and networking
- GNU Emacs, specifically Doom Emacs
- Whatever new tech thing catches my eye
- anime and manga. cliche but true
- ergonomics in technology. this site was typed on split keyboard and using a trackball
- brandon sanderson's novels
I'm not a fan of...
- social media. I've tried them all, I just can't seem to like any of them. so no I don't have a twitter
- bananas, eggs, and mangos (especially at once)
- ostentation. if this site didn't make that very obvious. though that doesn't mean it has to look bad